Tuesday, September 20, 2011

TIFF Diaries: Post-fest

Another film fest over.  Since I was doing a day-by-day recap, I realized that I had some leftover tidbits to share.

I found out on the last day that the People's Choice winner was "Where Do We Go Now?", a surprise to say the least.  There was a significant lack of buzz this year about People's Choice, which led me to believe that either there were no good films (not possible) or there were too many good films to narrow it down.  It's going to be Lebanon's Foreign Language film entry for the Oscars this year, so it probably has a good shot.  It wasn't enough to interest me in seeing it at the free screening though.  I was glad to hear that "Starbuck" was a runner up.  This was the film that the volunteers got to see prior to the festival.  A French-Canadian film about a slacker who finds out that, through his donations to a sperm bank years ago, he is the father of 533 children.  It's a really good film, surprisingly touching at some points.  I hope it's released outside of Quebec.

I had taken as many photos as I could when I wasn't volunteering.  Here's a sampling:

The Edge and Bono spoke a little during the intro for "From the Sky Down".

Alexander Payne, George Clooney, and the cast of "The Descendants".

Freshly made Lindor chocolates in the Visa Lounge at the Elgin.  Yum.

The director and cast of "Anonymous" during the Q&A. 
My vantage point of the directors of "Jeff, Who Lives at Home".

The director of "Violet & Daisy" during Q&A.  Dang it, give me a clue!
So, just when I thought I was done for the year...one of my TIFF friends is the volunteer coordinator for the Reel Asian film festival and has corralled me into helping out.  Here we go again.

"Every day I'm shuffling"

No comments: