Wednesday, September 14, 2011

TIFF Diaries: Day 7

Back to the real world, and a day of work while trying to stay awake.

Today's rush was "Jeff, Who Lives at Home".  For the first time, possibly ever, I was caught in the rain in a rush line.  I knew this would happen, since I had left my umbrella in the car in my hurry to grab dinner at the Eaton Centre and run over to the line.  I was surrounded by fellow volunteers, some from Ryerson, some I had never met before, which made for interesting conversation.  Luckily, my friend Olivia was able to join me for the film, umbrella in hand.  We were relatively dry by the time we got into the theatre.

It was too bad that none of the stars (Jason Segel, Ed Helms, Judy Greer, Susan Sarandon) were on hand, but the two directors were there.  The film is about a 30-something slacker named Jeff who interprets random occurrences as signs from the universe, telling him to do something.  In other words, a perfect film for me.  Along the way, he encounters his brother who  suspects that his wife is cheating on him.  And in a seemingly separate story, his mother is trying to solve a mystery at her workplace.  Incredibly funny, but then strangely serious at the end.  Final verdict was that I really liked the film.

The directors gave a really great Q&A at the end.  You can see where some of the humour comes from.  But another late night for me.  We're in the home stretch now.

"I've had my run, baby I'm done, I gotta go home"

No comments: