Thursday, April 10, 2003

I've found that whenever the weather is amazingly beautiful (like today), I always think of Mr. Rogers. As a child I would sit and watch him talk to puppets and tell us about how sharing is good. Now, I just start humming the tune and say to myself, yes, it is a beautiful day in the neighbourhood. And I think about how we had it good back then, only worrying about colouring inside the lines and wishing that I could ride the trolley to the neighbourhood of Make-Believe.

But now they're all gone...Mr. Rogers, Mr. Dressup, the Friendly Giant...pieces of childhood television fading away, relived only through specials and syndicated reruns, replaced with purple dinosaurs and talking sponges. It's a good thing I can still tell you how to get to Sesame Street.

"Won't you be my neighbour?"

No comments: